Topic of the Week
Leading in Challenging Times
Leadership is always difficult; and this economy can make it seem downright impossible. But leadership is far from impossible--we just need new strategies to adapt.
Blog of the Week
Washington, DC, City Council Votes to Raise Minimum Wage
After coming within one vote of a veto-proof majority for a bill that would have required big box stores to pay a $12.50 living wage, the Washington, DC, city council unanimously supportedraising the city's minimum wage to $11.50 by 2016 and tying it to inflation, in a preliminary vote Tuesday.
Thought for the Week
"So much of what we call management consists in making it difficult for people to work."
List of the Week
from John Templeton Foundation
Keeping Thanksgiving Going: Surprising Stats About Gratitude
- 50% say that they're likely to thank salespeople, mail carriers, cleaning crews, etc.
- 15% actually show daily gratitude to friends or colleagues
- 74% never or rarely express gratitude to their boss
- 70% said they'd feel better if their boss was more grateful
Top Five News Headlines
- On the Job: New generation is arriving in the workplace
- Walmart Offers To Rehire Worker Fired For Stopping Attack
- NLRB Reopens on October 17, 2013 - Effect of Government Shutdown on Filing Deadlines
- Here's your unemployment check. Now pay it back
- Supreme Court Takes a 'DIG' at Age Discrimination