Topic of the Week
Staying Safe: Spotting Violence at Work
According to security services firm Allied Burton, violence at work has been on the increase since the start of the recession in 2008. How can we all learn to be safer at work? I found a key part of the answer in a Peruvian festival.
Blog of the Week
Woman Says Employer Forced Her To Take Unpaid Leave While Pregnant
Jamie Cole's plan was to use saved up vacation and sick time to take a eight weeks paid off after the birth of her child. Instead, she says she was forced onto unpaid leave much earlier than she wanted.
Thought for the Week
"We accumulate our opinions at an age when our understanding is at its weakest."
–George C. Lichtenberg
List of the Week
Love At Work: Relationships at Work
- 31% of survey respondents admitted having an office "husband" or "wife".
- 18% of employees who had an office romance dated a supervisor.
- 25% of survey respondents who engaged in an office romance dated a subordinate.
Top Five News Headlines
- Wal-Mart's manufacturing recovery?
- 9 Investigates: NC mom fights against fatigued truckers after son's death
- Rhode Island Hospital workers demonstrate amid negotiations on new contract
- How to raise the minimum wage 107 percent without losing jobs or profit
- Federal judge tosses suit aimed at halting unionization of Minnesota home health care workers